Thursday, November 11, 2010

"For My Grandfather" by Matt Fought

On Sunday, October 31st 2010, Halloween morning, Jacob Hout, TenPoint Crossbows R&D Technician, and I went out to the woods in Portage County, OH with plenty of excitement and high expectations. With the Rut just around the corner, and a sudden increase of the number of scrapes and rubs in the area, we knew it was only a matter of time before we would see a nice buck up on his feet during daylight hours. While Jake had tagged out on his buck two weeks prior, he decided to come along and observe what I hoped would be my shot at harvesting a 2010 buck.

Employee Matt Fought with his
2010 ten- point buck
After making the trek out to our spot a good forty-five minutes before first light, I settled into my stand just on top of a ridge line funnel, a well-known spot where bucks like to skirt, scent-checking for does. Jake took to a tree in his climber just north of where I was sitting. With my anticipation running high, the first two-and-a-half hours seemed like forever, as we did not see any movement.

Then, at roughly 8:30 a.m., this 3 ½ year old ten- point buck came from the north end of the ridge and headed south toward us. He closed the distance in a hurry and I allowed him to walk just past me at 20 yards, providing me a broadside shot. After taking aim, my TenPoint Turbo XLT sent my Easton XX75 arrow tipped with a Spitfire Maxx right through the pump station. The deer made it only 50 yards from the spot he was hit, crashing within sight, making it a quick and easy recovery.

This particular hunt was extra special to me, with the passing of my grandfather this past August. My grandfather, Henry Fought, was an avid hunter himself and he, along with my father, started my passion for the great outdoors by taking me hunting at an early age. This hunt reminded me of all the great memories I had with him in the woods, so I would like to dedicate my buck in his name to honor him. Before my grandfather passed, he harvested this buck (shown below) during the 2009 season with a 1995 TenPoint HuntMaster.

Henry Fought with his
four-point buck killed in 2009
Thank you, TenPoint, for allowing my grandfather to continue his passion for hunting with time-tested equipment and for bringing together three generations of Fought hunters to create memories that will last a lifetime.

For more information on TenPoint crossbows visit http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/.


To learn more about TenPoint Crossbows view www.tenpointcrossbows.com

1 comment:

  1. look at you, you must have a penis the size of a small finger and a brain the size of a pee to be proud to do this. I just hope you'll have an accident one of these days and get that arrow through you temples.

    ReplyDelete